Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Once Cool Like This

Yes, I was once useless to society. Oh, the memories!
There was a time when life was no more than fun in the morning, fund in the afternoon and fun in the evening. Back then, I made a living under layers of fiberglass and wood dust. Whatever income I earned did not provide much of a lifestyle. All I had went into my show car.
I didn't even have enough to pay for travel expenses to attend shows. I remember once when we were crossing Kansas on our way back to Nebraska in the middle of the night. After realizing that we would run out of gas before making it home, we stopped at an all-night gas station. There was nothing else around. We told the attendant the story and about our show cars. He agreed to give us free gas. Now, that's something that you could not do today. People are no longer the same. Back then, everyone cared.
We often slept ten to twelve per room at the cheapest motel we could find. One of us would get the room and everyone else would sneak in later. It made no sense to spend on a room because we stayed awake working on cars the whole night. The motel room would become our base more than a place to sleep.
Accidentally cutting through arm chairs with a jigsaw or drilling a hole through the night table were not unusual. We always tried to correct the mistakes, but the extended hours made us not think straight.
While not rock stars in the full sense, we actually had groupies. While we worked, our groupies would party. The rooms turned into wrecks by the next morning. Once, during the 1991 IASCA finals in Oklahoma City, we became such a nuisance the first night that the hotel paid for a cop to park outside of our door the rest of the weekend. If they only knew that we had to re-install the bathroom door with bigger screws after they got knocked out by a drunken groupie.
Always broke and always tired, those were fantastic times. Sound offs where awesome and our cars ruled!
Car audio did nothing for my general education. My personal relationships also suffered. Girls came and went. Today I wonder why I wasted so much time. Then again, it was incredible while it lasted.
Launch Video
At IXOS, we recorded a video compilation of the lifestyle activities that our customers enjoyed most. While my fun days happened wayyyyy before this video was first aired, it nonetheless has made me remember what I once was. It was therefore natural that I would bring back the video to be shared with anyone who loves audio as much as I do. I hope that you enjoy the link to Youtube where it is being preserved for future generations to make fun of.
A big congratulations goes out to the weekend warriors who have made sure to perpetuate the sport that created so much pleasure for me and my friends.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment